Thursday, July 21, 2011

How Juvenile Justice Affects My Life

     By: Ricky Peacock





     Juvenile Incarcerations  in Washington DC affect me in many ways. First off, it puts me under certain categories or stereotypes. Being a young person under the same race that has an extremely high juvenile rate has me looked upon under many perspectives and characteristics that may not necessarily be true.
 
     There are a few juveniles I know who are imprisoned because they fell under certain stereotypes people categorized them in. For example,people may see me as being involved in  gang fights, and the usage of drugs just because of the percentage of other teens that do this. I have a friend who when we were 12 he got involved in gang situations with his older brothers and friends. He began to use marijuana and drink alcohol. He often fought and robbed people. Last year when we were just turning 14 he began to also sell marijuana and carry a fire arm. He was soon caught by the police and arrested for about 6 months and had to attend a program. he also was assigned a Parole Officer and had to take urine test. He also has to deal with his mother telling at him a lot. Also the reality that he now has a record and it will be hard for him to get a job. He got put out of his school.Also because he had to go to jail he was set back in school. His life is all messed up because he decided to make certain decisions people think a "normal" Washington Dc teen or "juvenile" would make.
 
     Certain decisions lead to certain consequences ad outcomes. I try my best to make great decisions so that the outcome of my decision will not ruin my life.Juvenile justice is extremely important in my community. Some teens do bad things because they don't have the proper role models and guidance. The role models teens have in their lives affect their behavior in many ways.
 
     According to tfk.org “ Sixteen young people are murdered on average each day in the United States. That’s more than 5,500 preventable deaths each year. Homicide is the second leading cause of death of young people between the ages of 10 and 24.” I am between these ages however i do not want to be one of these numbers. 


     Assault, Homicide, Rape, Robbery, Arson,Auto theft, Burglary Vandalism, and Weapon use are reasons why young teens get locked up. I stay away from these things so that I wont end up as a juvenile. I think that most juveniles that are charged with these crimes did it because of the influence their friends have on them. So more things I can do to prevent becoming a juvenile is to be aware of the friends i hang around. Know what I can, and can’t do. Also i could be mindful of activities i participate in. If i don’t feel comfortable doing it and I know my mother wouldn’t approve of it, then most likely i shouldn't be doing it.
 

     In conclusion, knowing the consequences of juvenile crime is what keeps me on track. Knowing that there is nothing good in engaging in these activities allows me to stay steady and keep pushing forward for a successful future.
                                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment